Monday, December 29, 2008

The 2008 Song

While I'm very impressed that Trent updated the blog, I'm still making a post today...because Trent's post shows up as yesterday. As Chang would say: -___-. But mostly because I want to post it up while it's still fresh in my mind.

This was posted on facebook, of course, but it is only here that I'll mention the myriad secrets that are quietly tucked between all those flamboyant words and the tagging order on facebook. Why do I mention this here and not on facebook? Because I figure anybody that cares enough to read both probably deserves to know, even if they didn't figure it out themselves (not that I made it easy).


I sat down at my piano today and played.
This is how the song went:

Lonely footsteps searching for reason behind death’s untimely call,
Weary thoughts locating refuge beneath unspoken understanding,
Sleepless nights seeking equilibrium among confused heads and hearts,
Consciously descending into a downward spiral of embracing disgust,
A teardrop of truth in a St. Louis emergency ward,
Dark Missourian highways shining with the singing of sore throats,
Uncovering true friendship through predawn postnight agony,
Complications drugging relationships faster than medications ever could,
Streetlights illuminating the recognition of perfection a little too late,
Feeling the wind blow whiffs of disappointment and contentment upon the Pacific,
Universal wrinkles under the guise of a bar in Hong Kong,
Learning to maneuver unalterable hands with timeless comforts,
Guilt-induced prayer that resurrected mistakes can be someday forgiven,
Crash.

Shaking knees being thrown back into the water,
Fragments being cleverly masked with frozen champagne masquerades,
Acceptance of the financial ashes from the great economic fire,
Genuine smiles that redefine the world,
Discovering perspective within ancient stone,
Shamelessly cavorting beneath the blinding Shanghai skyline,
Millions of lights watching as the top of the world unveiled itself in a dark silence,
Miracles breaking seemingly indestructible chains,
Opportunity and hope arising from inopportune and hopeless circumstances,
Warm contentment in the blistering rain and cold three hundred meters high,
Unexpectedly witnessing the most honest happiness within unthinkable poverty,

Finding all the beautiful colors coming together among black and white.

I gently closed the keyboard cover and walked away,
reverberations of the greatest year still ringing in my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment